The mission of the Whatcom Human Rights Task Force is to promote and protect the rights of the human family.
The WHRTF works to ensure an individual’s right to be treated with dignity and to live without fear of violence, intimidation, or discrimination based on group identification or personal characteristics. Such groups include, but are not limited to: race, ethnicity, gender, national origin, sexual orientation (gender expression/identity), religion, age, class, disability, veteran/military status or political opinion.
We envision Whatcom County as a diverse and compassionate community where every person enjoys equal justice and opportunity. The Whatcom Human Rights Task Force is committed to:
- Educating the community about acceptance, honoring diversity and identifying commonalities.
- Organizing unified, non-violent action response to those who condone human rights abuses.
- Providing support and referral for victims of bias crimes and/or other interested parties.
- Monitoring malicious harassment, community and governmental responses.
- Supporting human rights legislation.